Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Christmas Haul

I'm not one for showing off, but I'd like to share what I got for Christmas as I'll possibly be reviewing some of it, although largely they're for nothing but pleasure. I apologise in advance for the poor quality of the photographs, my iPod Touch 4G isn't particularly happy about taking them.

Books & Graphic Novels
I asked for a bunch of them this year, and that's exactly what I got.
That's two Warhammer 40,000 books (Dan Abnett's The Founding, the first Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus, and an anthology edited/collected by Abnett that includes a Ciaphas Cain short story), the first Fables trade, the final Stephanie Brown Batgirl trade (which collects 10 issues in one volume!), the seventh The Dark Tower (although the second subtitled The Gunslinger) hardcover The Little Sisters of Eluria, a reprinted Mike Mignola-written story called Jenny Finn: Doom Messiah, and finally in the bottom right is The Best of Archie Comics, a look back at the past seventy or so years of Archie Comics, with the main focus being on the Archie series.
 
Alright, I know calendars aren't books, but it's comic-related as it's Dilbert. That Doctor Who annual is really aimed at kids, but I had a flick through before I ate too much, and there's a variety of things. Some facts about monsters, a few short stories, a comic or two, and some other interesting snippets. Probably won't tell me anything I didn't really know, but I think it's pretty cool nonetheless.

DVDs & Games
So, there's two of the latest Marvel-based releases - Captain America: The First Avenger and X-Men: First Class, the fantasy-cum-dude-movie Your Highness, and the rather brilliant LEGO Star Wars: The Padawan Menace, which is a comical and self-referential take on the Star Wars universe (although some of the chronology seems a little... odd). Finally, there's the Collector's Edition of Relic Entertainment's recent release Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, a third-person action game which involves the slaughter of those dratted Orks. I've had a little play with it this evening, and it was fairly enjoyable but I'll probably be sitting down to play it in the near future. As far as Collector's Editions go, it's actually a nicely put together - although not perfect - piece, and I like how much detail went into it.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Your postman was probably tired of hauling all these presents :).
    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most likely, Yagiz! :p

    And thank you, a belated Happy Christmas to yourself, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice holiday haul Kathryn! Looks like hours of enjoyment are ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully so, Ryan! Hopefully so.

    ReplyDelete