Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Digital Comics Mini-Reviews: Round Two

Today I'll be continuing with my series of mini-reviews of various zero/first issues and previews of comics, largely found upon the ComiXology app.

Note: This was originally going to be longer, but like a complete genius I deleted half of the comics I'd read.

Abiding Perdition 10-Page Preview
Arcana Comics - Writer: Nick Schley - Art: Filipe Aguiar, Pedro Delgado, Adam Frizzell, Carlos Gomez - Colours: Bob Pedroza
I'd never really heard of Abiding Perdition, but it looked interesting. I believe it's a take on Red Riding Hood, but it's hard to gauge by such a short preview, and one that acts as a sort of prologue at that. The main character is riding in a coach with her grandmother when it's attacked in a dark, haunted forest. Her grandmother and the coach driver try and fend off the attacker whilst the protagonist tries to escape. I quite liked the clarity and spookiness of the art and the writing wasn't too bad, either. I'm definitely going to look into this, as the protagonist - when older - looks to be a female warrior.

Amber Atoms Issue #1
Image Comics/Creator Owned - Art & Writing: Kelly Yates - Colours: Michael E Wiggam
This was definitely an enjoyable read, albeit one I'll likely only finish digitally (if available) due to never being collected as a trade. It's a sci-fi adventure with a pretty funky aesthetic to it, with a very capable female lead. The art was absolutely amazing, and I liked how the aliens looked. It had two different stories - one detailed the fall and rise of an antagonistic civilization after their defeat, whilst the second focused on the relationship between Amber and her father.

I would love to continue reading this series, and I hope I can find a way.

Atomic Robo & Friends - Free Comic Book Day 2011
Red 5 - Writer: Brian Clevinger - Art: Scott Wegener
Atomic Robo is one of those series that gets a lot of good press. It's got a great sense of humour, and some really good art to back it up. In this issue, Atomic Robo is a guest judge at the National Science Fair, and all seems to be going well until Dr. Dinosaur interrupts and causes a whole load of chaos. Atomic Robo has to deal with him whilst minimising the risk to the children and other innocents at the fair, but one girl just doesn't stop interfering.

I thoroughly enjoyed this, from the apparent Back to the Future reference in the panel above (does it look like the Flux Capacitor, or is it just me?), to numerous Doctor Who jokes and - well - it was just fun in general.

I've got a few more Atomic Robo comics to read, and perhaps I'll look into starting it properly.

Beautiful Creatures Issue #1
Red 5 - Writer: Kurtis J Wiebe - Art: Ash Jackson - Colours: Frank Zigarelli
First in a two-part series, I believe. Four girls are out having a good time whilst elsewhere in the world, some people are finding a power awakening inside them. As luck would have it, these four friends all have powers, and they only find out once their night is ruined.

Some pretty funky art, but I felt the characters were all the same colour. The girl in the headscarf (in the picture above) is, I believe, Iraqi yet her skin colour and facial features are largely the same as those of the other girls. Other than that, I felt the art was generally pretty good, as was the writing. Some good comedy and some potentially-compelling characters.

I may pick up the next issue at some point.

Danger Girl Issue #0
IDW - Writers: J. Chris Campbell & Andy Hartnell - Art: J. Scott Cambell
Okay, who doesn't know Danger Girl? With its risqué humour and over-the-top sexualised art, it's one of those series that catches the eye. Whilst I'm generally not a fan of such art styles, I found it to work quite well in this zero-issue. It's little more than a scene-setter and a hint of what's to come. This is Danger Girl, this is the bad guy, there's history between them, bam, end.

I may continue with this series at some point, however. The cheeky humour may work better in full issues, and some are illustrated by one of my favourite artists, Phil Noto, so I may very well find a new series to enjoy here.

Mind the Gap - Prologue
Image Comics - Writer: Jim McCann - Art: Rodin Esquejo & Sonia Oback
Not sure what to make of this. A supernatural thriller of sorts which sets the scene for the upcoming (at the time of writing) series of the same name. Elle Peterssen is attacked for no apparent reason, and is left in a coma. In this prologue, we are given an idea of the sinister nature behind the attack, but also how it will affect her friends and family.

Some good art, but I didn't find any part of it particularly remarkable in any way. There's just nine pages here, which doesn't give much of an idea of what the series will be like.

If and when the trade comes out, likely next year, I may take a chance.

The Walking Dead Issue #1
Image Comics - Writer: Robert Kirkland - Art: Tony Moore
Ah, The Walking Dead, one of the biggest names in independent comics at the moment. With a hit TV series now in its second series and with a third confirmed, as well as an upcoming video game by Telltale Games, it's definitely a big deal. Main character Rick Grimes wakes up in a hospital, only to find it seemingly deserted. There's no patients, doctors or anyone around. Rick soon comes face to face with the new residents, a group of zombies, however and flees for his life only to find an equally hostile world.

I quite liked Moore's art. It worked really well, and the black and white was quite a refreshing change from colour. Kirkland also seemed to spin a fairly interesting tale, too. I'm not sure I'll continue with The Walking Dead, however, as zombies just aren't my thing. I can certainly see why it's so popular, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment